Practical tips for South Tyrolean cherries
Purchase, store and enjoy
Here are a few practical tips on how to preserve the valuable nutrients and enticing aroma of the cherries until they are consumed. Read more here… Buying and storing cherries
- Make sure the berries are fresh when you buy them: The fruit must not be damaged.
- Once you get the berries home, keep them cool at about 1°C.
- Eat the fruit quickly, because it tastes better fresh.
- Longer periods of storage cause the cherries to lose their aroma.
- Cherries can also be frozen. They can be stored in the deep-freeze for up to a year.
- The right way to freeze cherries: first place the fruits next to each other on a plate or baking tray and leave in the deep-freeze for a couple of hours. Only then should you put them in a freezer bag.
- Do not wash and prepare until immediately before consumption!
- Wash the fruits in a bowl of water. Avoid powerful jets of water as they may harm the fruits and wash out valuable nutrients.
- Do not remove the stalks until after washing.
- For cherry cake and cherry tart: dry the cherries thoroughly and remove the stones.