Practical tips for herbs and spices
Herb cuisine and herb pillows
Here is a collection of tips on using South Tyrolean herbs and spices. They cover not only kitchen use, but also methods of increasing your well-being with herbal infusions, herb mixtures and herb pillows. Seasoning in the kitchen – a never-ending game
How can you use each herb or spice?
- Herbs can be used both fresh and dried for cooking.
- Herbs and spices are excellent for seasoning meat dishes, soups, salads and cheese dishes.
- They can be used to spice up both meals and drinks.
- Seasoning with herbs means that you can reduce your salt intake.
The best way to store herbs
- Tarragon: adds flavor to vinegar and mustard; used to season poultry, cooked fish and meat
- Savory: can be used instead of pepper, goes with meat, pulses, cabbage dishes, fried potatoes and potato salad
- Bergamot: use the leaves and flowers for infusions
- Mints: infuse with water, lemon and sugar for a refreshing drink; use the flowers to season vegetables, pasta dishes, fish, pork and chicken
- Lovage: the leaves taste like celery but are sharper and more bitter.
- Oregano: is very important in Italian cuisine. Used for pizza, Italian sauces, tomato dishes, lamb and vegetable dishes
- Rosemary: ideal with meat and potatoes. Insider tip: mix rosemary with apples
- Fenugreek or clover: typical bread seasoning for “Vinschger Paarl” (bread rolls baked in pairs), “Schüttelbrot” (rye flatbread), rye breads; also used to season spreads made of cream cheese, quark, cheese dishes, eggs and potatoes
- You can have various herb mixtures made up according to your requirements.
Not just for seasoning!
- Ideally the herbs should be kept in their protective packaging after they have been opened.
- Keep herbs and spices in a dry place away from light and protect from moisture.
- Dried herbs are ideal for use in winter.
- Herbs can also be used for infusions and herb mixtures.
- Herbal infusion recipe: 1 dessertspoon of herbs and ¼ l hot water (80°C), allow to steep for 5 minutes
- Herb pillows are easy to make: use a cotton or linen cushion cover measuring 30x30 cm which can be closed with a zip; replace the herbs after max. 1 year.
- Lavender, sage, anise, thyme and hops all have a calming effect
- Rosemary and mint are revitalizing