Practical tips for South Tyrolean meat
Recognizing and preserving freshness
The meat must be fresh
. This is easy to see. It should also be stored correctly after purchasing to prevent it from losing its outstanding quality. What’s the best way to do this?
Here are a few tips:
- An intense red color of beef shows that the meat is fresh. Fresh pork is characterized by a pale pink Color.
- Pay attention to the marbling: meat with fine streaks of fat is succulent and tender.
- Meat should be placed in the fridge immediately after purchase. It can be kept at 0-2°C for a couple of days.
- You can also freeze beef to preserve it for longer. However, pork only keeps its taste for 4-6 months, beef for at least 6-8 months.
- Fatty meat doesn’t keep as long in the deep-freeze.
- Frozen meat should always be thawed in the fridge. Less juice is lost in this way.
- The meat should always be cut across the fibers (at a right angle). This stops the meat from falling apart. It also loses far less of its hape and size during cooking.
- Use a large, sharp knife with a smooth cutting edge for cutting up the meat.
- Do not add salt until just before or during preparation. Salt draws the juice out of the meat. Meat salted too early is prone to dry out.